Public Housing

What is the Public Housing Program?

The Public Housing Program was created by the U.S. Housing Act of 1937. Public Housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly and person with disabilities. Public Housing comes in all sizes and types from scattered single family houses to high rise apartments. There are approximately 1.3 million households living in Public Housing units managed by some 3,300 Housing Authorities. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing these development.

Happy Family

Who is Eligible?

Public Housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. The Brunswick Housing Authority determines your eligibility based on:

  • Annual Gross Income
  • Whether you qualify as elderly, disabled, family, or single
  • U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status
  • Criminal Background Check

Qualifications for Admission

It is Brunswick Housing Authority policy to admit qualified applicants only. An applicant is qualified if he or she meets the following criteria.

  • Is a family as defined in the Admissions and Continued Occupancy Plan (ACOP)
  • Head of Household where at least one member of the household is either a citizen or eligible non-citizen. (24CFR Part 5, Subpart E)
  • Has an annual income at the time of admission that does not exceed the low income limits for occupancy established by HUD
  • Provides a Social Security number for all family members or provides written certification that family member(s) do not have Social Security number(s)
  • Meets or exceeds the tenant Selection and Suitability Criteria as set for in the Admissions and Continued Occupancy Plan

The application process requires specific documentation from the perspective tenant. A list of the documents needed can be found here. An application must be filled out to start the process. You can print the application here.